Reflecting on our 2019 Tour de France Predictions
August 8, 2019 - by Charlie Bristow Blog
Is Ben a budding Sir Brailsford? Were Ruth’s predictions respectable or ridiculous?
Remember early July? England still had a mammoth task ahead of them in the Cricket World Cup, Cori Gauff was yet to serve in Wimbledon, and the Tour de France was only just getting started with a fresh legged peloton preparing to roll out on Le Grande Depart of the Tour de France.
Here at Fusion, we consider ourselves pretty au fait with cycling, so confidently made some predictions on who would perform in this year’s Tour de France. So how did we get on?
Nick: Y – Alex Dowsett. G – Alexander Kristoff. P – Warren Barguil (Nick has an irrational love of Alex Dowsett)
– Nick failed spectacularly. His love for Alex Dowsett came back to bite him, and both Kristoff and Barguil failed to secure anything other than minor placings, despite Warren Barguil giving it a go and eventually finishing tenth in GC.
Ben: Y – Jakob Fuglsang. G – Peter Sagan. P – Julian Alaphilippe.
– Ben’s safe bet with Sagan paid off, and he was right to back Alaphillipe, however Fuglsang’s disappointing race meant that his yellow jersey prediction fell pretty short.
Tom: Y – Geraint Thomas. G – Peter Sagan. P – David Gaudu
– Another Sagan backer, and Tom was confident that Gee could deliver two years in a row. Gaudu had a good few days helping Thibaut Pinot on some of the mountain stages, but ultimately it was a long shot for such a young rider to take the Polka Dot jersey.
Wiesia: Y – Thibaut Pinot. G – Caleb Ewan. P – Julian Alaphilippe.
– What could have been for Pinot! A heartbreaking exit, and here’s hoping he comes back stronger next year. Caleb was a good shout for the Green jersey, and overall it was a good tour for the Pocket Rocket, but Peter Sagan proved too good in the intermediate sprints.
Andy: Y – Geraint Thomas. G – Peter Sagan. P – Vincenzo Nibali.
– Another Geraint Thomas backer, and although Andy guessed right with Sagan, Polka Dots for Nibali proved to be a long shot.
Sean: Y – Vincenzo Nibali. G – Peter Sagan. P – Fabian Aru.
– Another long shot for Nibali, although not out of the realms of possibility for the former tour winner. Same old same old for the Green jersey, and it took a brave man to bet on Aru, considering his recent form for UAE Emirates.
Charlie: Y – Egan Bernal. G – Dylan Groenewegen. P – Giulio Ciccone.
– We have a winner! What a bright future the young Bernal has, and someone we should expect to see on the podium for the next decade, providing he stays fit. Ciccone was a nice choice for the King of the Mountains, and he gave it a good shot, but ultimately bested by Romain Bardet.
Adam: Y – Egan Bernal – G – Caleb Ewan. P – Julian Alaphilippe.
– The boss guessed right with Egan, and in fact all of Adam’s choices had very good tours. Maybe there’s a bright future for him in the Cycling business?
Ruth: Y – Julian Alaphilippe – G – Peter Sagan -Thibaut Pinot
– It would have been amazing for Alaphilippe to hold onto the yellow jersey for the whole tour, and despite winning our Fantasy Tour de France League, Ruth’s green jersey guess was the only one she nailed in this year’s tour.
So, overall a mixed bag, some outside choices that almost came off, and a pretty good effort from the team – with only Nick and V failing to predict a single correct jersey.
- Understanding the changing attitudes to e-bike use with Shimano
- Wahoo Releases SYSTM, A Complete Training App for Endurance Athletes
- New Raleigh Stride E-Cargo Range Brings The Future of Urban Transport to the Masses
- The Bike Club Subscription Service is Now Available for Adults
- Beryl Selected to Deliver Cycle Hire Scheme In Manchester
- SunGod Launches new Airas™ Frameless Glasses
- RED BULL TIMELAPS RETURNS FOR 2021 – WITH INDOOR & OUTDOOR RACES